Content Types and Ideas Guide

Take your Content Marketing Strategy to the next level!

Strategies to Discover What Content Your Audience Wants

This is Chapter 2, Part 1 from the Content Types and Ideas Guide.

  image10 1 Yes, it can be challenging to come up with new content on a regular basis. Especially that content creation is a repetitive thing. But content is also key in marketing – for traffic, and of course search engine optimization. So, what do you do to come up with the content your audience actually wants and needs? Strategize. How? Consider the important areas of interest and use simple methods to track and discover data and comments. By doing so, you’ll always find yourself one step ahead of your followers’ needs. Here are 8 strategies that will help you discover the content your audience will dig. 😎

1. Define your purpose

What’s your purpose? What do you want to achieve with your content? Whether the purpose of your content is to educate, entertain, create relationships, make a sale, the first thing you need to determine when planning your content strategy is what you are trying to achieve with that piece of content.

2. Know your audience – Create a Buyer Persona

Don’t write based on assumptions. Be strategic. A crucial step in writing is to know what your target audience wants to read about. How do you figure this out? Ask two questions:
  • Who are you writing this content for?
  • How many audiences are you creating content for?
In case your business has more than one type of customer (which can be the case quite often), your content strategy will have to speak to more than one type of followers. This is also the case when your business is present in more than one social platform. So, what you need to do is create marketing personas (buyer personas). Why? Well, because your buyer personas will give you the perfect ideas on what type of content to create and share on social media. Without personas, you’ll only be guessing what content your audience wants. What is a buyer persona? A buyer persona represents your ideal customer or consumer – basically your loyal buyer. They are some sort of tool, if you will, that brings confidence and clarity into your marketing strategy and helps your brand convince buyers to choose you rather than a competitor. image6 1 Find out more about How to Create a Buyer Persona in Social Media, here. ✍️ Bottom line: When you know your target audience and you have your buyer persona, you are able to produce relevant and valuable content that your followers will want to read and convert on. But, make sure to narrow down your target audience and create your buyer persona. Writing for broad market audiences will weaken conversions.

3. Ask your audience

Another great strategy is to ask your audience what they want. Weird? No, it’s not. In fact, it’s very simple to do this. You can ask a question like: “What type of content would you like us to share?” You’d be surprised by the answers you get and how fast people may express their wants and desires. Another approach you can go for is to create a poll. This works best if you already have a sense of what your audience may be interested in. So, make a poll, list a few options your audience can choose from, and then create your strategy also based on the answers you get. To give the entire process some boost you could offer some sort of motivation or reward in exchange for your followers taking the time to provide an answer to your question. And, even if you only manage to gather information from 10% of people who visit, chances are the other 90% of people would at somewhat agree. ✍️ Bottom line: Asking your audience directly may be one of the most efficient ways to get inside your reader’s head. And it’s an excellent approach to help you figure out what type of content to write and share on social media.

4. Use your social media analytics

Another smart way to find out what your audience likes and wants when it comes to content is to use your analytics. In fact, with the help of our social media analytics, you’ll be able to find out what type of content works and what’s not. How? By studying your top-performing posts. What you want to do here is find a pattern and discover why certain posts work better than others. Here’s what you should be looking for:
  • Common topics among the posts
  • The specific source of your content – your blog/ website for instance
  • A particular content type that generally performs better (video, shared article, image, infographics, etc)
  • Which posts got the most comments
If you want to find your top-performing posts on your social platforms, you can do so by using the native analytics on each of the platforms you are interested in. 👇 Here’s an example on Facebook and Instagram:

Facebook

One way to find your top-performing Facebook posts is to go to your Page Insights -> Posts, and manually look for posts with high reach or engagement. 👇 image3 1 image8

Instagram

In your business account, tap on the analytics icon on your profile. Then, tap on “Insights”. Here, you’ll find insight into your content, activity, and audience. If you look at the content section you’ll see your Feed Posts. And if you tap on ‘See all, you’ll be able to see your top posts sorted by engagement. You can also sort it by impressions, reach, and more, and adjust the time period. 👇 image1 1image2 1image4 1

5. Follow the newest trends

Always stay updated and keep an eye out for the newest trends in the social media space and follow them. By doing this you’ll get a general sense of the types of content to post because you know what is trending and what type of content audiences expect to get. Although this type of approach may not allow you to be very specific to your audience, it can still be helpful as you’ll provide the latest trends you are somehow expected to provide.

6. Socialize with your audience

Try to spend as much time as possible with your target audience online (if it’s possible in person even better). How? Simply get to know them by visiting their social media profiles, reading their personal blogs, or by joining the discussion forums and other social groups they are members of. In order to get a sense of what’s on your buyers’ minds related to your niche, you could monitor their discussions, social media posts, and comments on the different social platforms. And then… write that educational, problem-solving, and valuable content that will actually address all the issues you’ve seen your audience mention on social.

7. Decide on the types of content you want to create

Because there is a great variety of content types you can opt for, you need to decide which one(s) is best for you and would help to reach your target audience. The most popular content types you can choose from are:
  • Blog Posts/Articles
  • Videos
  • Curated Content
  • Sales/Promotions
  • Listicles
  • User-Generated Content
  • Giveaways
  • Free (Downloadable) Assets
  • Infographics
  • (Quick) Tips
  • Social Media Posts
  • Ebooks
  • E-mails
  • Case Studies
  • Templates
  • Infographics
  • Podcasts
  • FAQ’s
  • Interviews
  • How-to guides
  • Statistics
  • PowerPoint presentations
  • White Papers

8. Build an Email List and know how to use it

Regardless of the type of content, you are creating, you need to make sure it ends up in front of the right people. And email lists can also be a great help in achieving this task. Why? Because email allows you to communicate your content directly to your subscribers and gets you straight into their inboxes. In fact, by starting early with list-building is an excellent way to increase the effectiveness of the content you’re creating.

Conclusion

The natural starting place for content marketing is the strategy. Your strategy will dictate how the rest of the process unfolds. So, think of your strategy as the foundation of your writing process.
Content Types and Ideas
Content Types and Ideas

Would you like to read the full Guide? Read the full guide to discover what types of content work best for you. 

High Performing Content Types in Marketing

High Performing Content Types in Marketing

High Performing Content Types in Marketing This is Chapter 2, Part 2 from the Content Types and Ideas Guide. Content…